"When good Americans die, they go to Paris." - Oscar Wilde

Friday, March 11, 2011

Never Underestimate the Power of Knowing Russian

Thank God. I got my computer back this afternoon, so I can attempt to catch up. I refuse to retell my Parisian adventures. There's far too much to share...but let me tell you about my day instead.

In Langue, Ashley told Lien to approach a Korean girl and slam her fist against her palm. Apparently this is very offensive in Korea and signifies sexual desire. Of course Lien did it and all of the surrounding Asians who didn't know what it meant followed suit. The Korean girl gasped and tried to get them to stop, and soon our professor Françoise joined as well. Oh my God, I was dying.

For our lunch break, Adrianne, Bethany, Lien, and I ate Chinese food. I skipped art history (it's impossible to go to that class on Fridays.) and then got a beer with the girls at Matt Murph's.

Later, Lien and I met up with Nikki at Soft, a local bar, and Lien brought her Russian friend Daria. We drank, had fun, and then Daria said she could get me a ride home because the owner of McDoner was her friend. Oh, honey, we're all his friend, I said. But they both speak Russian and he promised us a ride home as soon as he got off at 2 AM. The alcohol hit me while we sat in the restaurant. Ashley and some of her friends were there, so we chilled with them. Then he took us home. My house is far away and since I walk everyday, I wasn't sure what roads were accessible or inaccessible to cars. The road I walk is a one-way street, so he couldn't drive down it. Thus, we wandered around for 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get home.

At one point I told him to forget it and just drop me off at this abandoned tunnel. I'd call a cab. Lien yelled, "What?! That's dangerous!!" and wouldn't let me get out of the car. I felt horrible for making this poor man drive around for a half hour. I'm sure he just wanted to sleep. But eventually I made it home and all was well.

I think I'm finally finding my place in Angers. Every day I laugh until I cry, and that's a good place to be.

4 comments:

  1. Glad your computer is back! I like reading about your adventures! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha love it, I miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mah gah, you got to ride with our BFF from Mc Doner?! You are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lmao. i can't believe u got in a car with him....do u kno his name yet?

    ReplyDelete