"When good Americans die, they go to Paris." - Oscar Wilde

Sunday, March 13, 2011

La Vie Douce

I didn't get in this morning until 3 AM. Then I talked to my Dylan until 6 AM (wtf) and passed out until 1 PM. I ate lunch with my family and it was delicious as always. We had chopped tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper, not unlike a bruschetta-type dish. Mme. said she wasn't impressed with the tomatoes, but I thought it was yummy. Afterwards, we had steak and mashed potatoes; while they didn't compete with my aunt's, which are practically liquid with the amount of cream she uses, they tasted just like American mashed potatoes. After this we had cheese and bread (duh), and for dessert: sweet almond cakes and English cream for dipping. Amazing.

Later, Lien, Beth, and I met up for drinks and dinner at Tapas. Ashleigh and Jamie joined us and we sat there for 3.5 hours talking about sex, boys, St. Patty's Day plans, and other things. We went through several carafes of wine and shared a cheese and bread plate. It was so nice to just sit and laugh with everyone. It really felt like nights spent at home, chatting with my girls until late. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by so many amazing people here. I'm going to miss all of my new girlfriends.

After our drinks, a taxi took me home. And by taxi I mean Mercedes. It was the shit. I was too nervous to walk 35 minutes home by myself. Especially after this weekend. I once felt fine walking home alone, but not so much anymore. Maybe I'll get a personal driver for the weekends.

On another note, Lien and I joke about how we're the worst students ever. French culture is so much more relaxed than the individualism in the U.S. LITERALLY, all I do here is eat, drink, and sleep. I go to class, usually, but my homework is half-assed. Most mornings Lien and I grab a coffee at a café. Then we'll go to class, get lunch together, then I'll head home at the end of the day and relax before dinner. Then it's time for bed. This truly is the sweet life.

No comments:

Post a Comment