"When good Americans die, they go to Paris." - Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Home Abroad and Home Home

Today I wasted a beautiful day in Angers by taking a four-hour nap riddled with nightmares. It was so nice to sleep though, so I'm not complaining.

I cannot believe I only have a month left. I don't believe it. It seems that there is still so much to see and do before I leave, but I check the calendar and it doesn't lie. Five weeks. It feels like yesterday when I arrived in France and worried about conducting daily activities (like grocery shopping and going to the post office) in French. It all seems so surreal to think about a month from now, I will be back in the mountains of East Tennessee and Asheville, North Carolina. Something I dreamed of for so long will be coming to a close. It's been a lot of work up to this point, applying for my visa, buying my tickets, packing, and saying my goodbyes...it's been a journey but it's not over yet.

In other news, I was in Paris this weekend when I heard about the tornadoes in the US. Though I'm so far, it felt incredibly close to home. The tornadoes occurred in my hometown in Greeneville and actually traveled through my neighborhood. Several people were killed, and there was no internet, phone service, or power in the city. Thankfully my family and my house was left untouched (save for no electricity, phone, or internet) but my dad told me he couldn't get to work and that he'd never seen destruction like that. There were phone poles impaling people's homes and the streets were covered in trees. It's times like this when I wish I could be at home to bring comfort to the people I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment